Chapter Excellence Funds (CEF) are restricted funds that can only be spent to provide scholarships and educational support to members of that specific Chapter. CEF purposes vary from Chapter to Chapter and from one year to the next, but each serves to enhance the educational opportunities available to Chi Phi Brothers. Many Chapters provide academic scholarships specifically for their Chapters while others may choose to use the funds for other important purposes, such as upkeep of a library or to enhance technology in the Chapter house. Every active and many dormant Chi Phi Chapters have a Chapter Excellence Fund, although some are below the minimum balance to support their members. To donate to a specific CEF, click here. To discuss strategies for increasing your Chapters CEF, contact Director of Development Laura Landry at 404.231.1824.
Key Features of a Chapter Excellence Fund
- A $5,000 balance is required to begin spending from a CEF.
- IRS section 501(c)(3) governs the CEFs, making all donations to a CEF tax deductible.
- Each year 4% of total CEF balance may be spent.
- Chapter Excellence Funds can be used for a variety of purposes including:
- Academic scholarships
- Scholarships for tuition and travel to UIFI, LeaderShape, FuturesQuest or other leadership programs or educational conferences
- Academic recognition and awards
- College of Excellence, Regional Leadership Alliance, Alphas Academy and other Chi Phi educational program travel grants
- Educational planning retreats for Chapters, Chapter officers and/or Alumni advisors
- Grants for chapter house construction or renovation that qualifies as “exclusively educational” (study rooms, libraries, internet upgrades, etc.) that are equivalent to what the university or college provides in dormitories.
- Fundraising expenses
- Housing loans to renovate or build chapter houses
Requesting a Chapter Excellence Fund Grant
Chapters, Alumni Associations and Chapter Advisory Boards have until May 31 each academic year to request a grant from their CEF. To request a grant complete the Restricted Fund Grant Request Form. For information on the total amount available from your CEF, contact Trust Financial Assistant, Jan Whitten, at 404.231.1824.